President Gordon B. Hinckley's Challenge and Promise
President Gordon B. Hinckley said in a
worldwide leadership training meeting:
“I am convinced there is no other organization anywhere to match the Relief Society of this Church.
If they will be UNITED and speak with ONE VOICE,
Their STRENGTH will be INCALCULABLE!”
10 January 2004, 20
Relief Society - A Restoration of an Ancient Form
“A Restoration of an Ancient Pattern”
Although the name may be modern date,
the institution is of ANCIENT ORIGIN.
We were told by our martyred prophet
that the same organization EXISTED
in the church ANCIENTLY.”
Eliza R. Snow
(Published in: “Daughters in My Kingdom”)
Saturday, October 30, 2010
"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have removed their only firm basis: a conviction in the minds of men that these liberties are the gift of God?" (Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia)
President Spencer W. Kimball: "We urge you to STUDY the platforms and acquaint yourself with the candidates. Then PRAY to the Lord for GUIDANCE, and go to the polls and vote." ("God Will Not be Mocked" - General Conference - Ensign - Nov. 1974 - pg. 4)
John Quincy Adams: "Vote for PRINCIPLE, though you vote alone, and you may cherish with sweet reflection that your vote was never wasted."
Prophet Joseph Smith: "...we shall have the satisfaction of knowing that we have acted conscientiously, and have used our best judgment. And if we have to throw away our votes, we had better do so upon a worthy rather than an unworthy individual who might make use of the weapon we put in his hand to destroy us." (Times and Seasons, Nauvoo, IV, 441. Cited also in Roberts, Comprehensive History, II, 208-209).
The Book of Mormon...teaches us MUCH on the subject of FREEDOM/protection of our AGENCY to choose:
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Monday, October 25, 2010
Joseph Smith once said that..."Our missionaries are going forth to different nations, and in Germany, Palestine, New Holland, Australia, the East Indies, and other places, the Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done" (History of the Church, 4:540)
TEMPLES are the RESULT of MISSIONARY WORK...This is truly an exciting MOMENT!
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.
What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.
For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.
What a sweet sweet message....Sisters... I bet right now...you can think of someone who...has blessed your life in this manner. Everyone one of us can do this one simple thing...be an instrument in Father's hands...for good...
Friends...are one thing...we can express our GRATITUDE to Father each and every day!
I am DEEPLY grateful...for every kind word...loving hug...each of you...have given me...THANK YOU...for being a LIGHT in MY LIFE...I know...this is what "heaven" will be like...LOVING KINDNESS...will be overflowing...from all those who enter Father's eternal kingdom! I am SO LOOKING FORWARD...to that forever experience!!! (smile)
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
There are THOUSANDS of MOTHERS...today, on bended knee praying over her little flock...and for YEARS afterwards...these same mothers will be on bended knee...pleading for guidance on how they can help lead this daughter or that son...to the "tree of life"...
This past weekend, one such mother is REJOICING in her POSTERITY...a dream pondered over...for the past 19 years...to witness her child...enter the "House of the Lord"...I know of NO GREATER JOY than that!
Elder David B. Haight said: "...when a mother honors and magnifies her calling, she is preparing for the eternities. She is not only preparing her children for their eternal destiny, but she is also preparing herself to become a queen and a priestess forever."
"As the First Presidency have declared: 'Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels." (Conference Report, October 1942, pp. 12-13) (Quoted from - "Woman" - page 19)
Monday, October 18, 2010
John Baisden - Bishop Mark Robison - Derek Toren
You have got to love it...
The saying... "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach"
Debbie Smith - Twana Chery - Wendy Storey
Kari Beagley was with us - but had the privilege
of flying back with our Stake President and party
to experience a Mother's Dream: Seeing her son set apart for his MISSION!
Part of our NEW YOUNG WOMEN'S PRESIDENCY:
(L to R) Susan Robison (1st Counselor) - Jennifer Oliverson (Secretary)
Janie Toren was unable to attend - but is the Second Counselor
Sheryl Ruggles - Anita Denney - Jennifer Sherratt
Sylvia Luehr (not in this picture)
Sister Thompson came to speak to all the Relief Society Sisters. She was absolutely OUTSTANDING! Her comments were so "down-to-earth"!
I thought to myself...we are ALL TRULY SISTERS.
Even in our own struggles in perfecting...
we are TRULY SISTERS - who are doing our very best!
Here are some of my notes from the Leadership Training
17 October 2010
- In the current Quorums of 70 - there are now 8 Quorums
- They represent: 59 countries and speak 63 languages
- Stated we must become ONE - then quoted the scripture - D&C 38:27 - "I say unto you, be ONE; and if ye are not ONE, ye are NOT MINE."
- As the Lord's people we are expected to serve well in the following areas:
- Need to have the Spirit of the Holy Ghost to RECEIVE PERSONAL REVELATION. However we need to be doing or being in the following areas:
- need to be WORTHY
- Open to RESPONSE of the Holy Ghost
- Listen to the counsel
- Wait Upon the Lord
- Have priorities straight
- Do NOT over plan your life - Leave room for the SPIRIT!
- Our marriages should be EXAMPLES - need to be STABLE - need to be GOOD/friendly
- Quoted 2nd Nephi 32:3 "Wherefore, I said unto you, FEAST upon the WORDS of CHRIST; for behold, the WORDS OF CHRIST will tell you ALL THINGS what YE SHOULD DO."
- Jesus does NOT want ADMIRERS - He want IMITATORS! (Loved that statement!) (smile)
- Elder Smith made the following comment: That the YOUNG WOMEN of the CHURCH need PRIESTHOOD BLESSINGS OFTEN...Admonished the BISHOPS in their 6 month interviews to ASK the YOUNG WOMEN if she would like a BLESSING!
- Also, that the YOUTH of the CHURCH need to receive their PATRIARCHAL BLESSINGS - at a younger age than the past...Times in which we live...now warrant such action!
- Quoted Alma 17:2-3 (LOVE THESE VERSES - PATTERN for PERSONAL REVELATION - and the ABILITY to TEACH WITH POWER! Plus KNOWLEDGE!!!!!) "...they had waxed strong in the KNOWLEDGE of the TRUTH; for they were men of SOUND UNDERSTANDING and they had SEARCHED the SCRIPTURES DILIGENTLY, that they might KNOW THE WORD of GOD." "But this is not all; they had given themselves to MUCH PRAYER, and FASTING; therefore they had the SPIRIT OF PROPHECY, and the SPIRIT of REVELATION, and when they TAUGHT they TAUGHT with POWER and AUTHORITY of GOD."
- TEMPLE BLESSINGS: (POWERFUL! - PONDER THESE VERSES, Sisters!)
- D&C 97:13-14, 16 (verse 13) "For a place of THANKSGIVING for ALL SAINTS, and for a place of INSTRUCTION for ALL those who are called to the WORK of the MINISTRY in all their several callings and offices;
- (verse 14) "That they may be PERFECTED in the UNDERSTANDING of their ministry, in theory, in principle, and in doctrine, in all things pertaining to the KINGDOM OF GOD on the earth, the keys of which kingdom have been conferred upon you.
- (verse 16) "Yea, and my PRESENCE SHALL BE THERE, for I will come into it, and all the PURE IN HEART that shall come into it SHALL SEE GOD."
- D&C 109: 22 "And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this HOUSE ARMED with thy POWER, and that thy name may be UPON THEM, and thy glory be ROUND ABOUT THEM, and THINE ANGELS have CHARGE OVER THEM
- Listen to SACRED MUSIC - aids us in receiving PERSONAL REVELATION
- PONDER - BE STILL
- President Monson wants ALL the SISTERS to KNOW...HOW MUCH HE LOVES US!
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
President Boyd K. Packer
"The Spirit of the Tabernacle"
Liahona, May 2007
Monday, October 11, 2010
AN ANSWER has come that the SISTERS OF THE CHURCH should KNOW and LEARN from the history of Relief Society. UNDERSTANDING the history of Relief Society strengthens the foundational IDENTITY and WORTH of FAITHFUL WOMEN."
Sisters in this beautiful Kalispell Valley...we will be studying the history of Relief Society. The church is in the process of putting a HISTORY together and will be available for our use NEXT YEAR. It will be most interesting...to see how this will BLESS our LIVES TODAY!
I have spent a great deal of time over the years studying EMMA SMITH, the wife of the prophet and the first Relief Society President called in this last dispensation. I will look forward to one day...THANKING HER...for all of her sacrifices in life...
I LOVE this MUSIC to this video...on Emma Smith...I hope you will be TOUCHED as much as I am...I have listened and watched this clip on Emma many times...I have looked into my own heart...and pondered my own service in the kingdom...
Monday, October 4, 2010
Like many of you, I have been pondering over the messages that were given over the weekend...trying to find that SINGLE THREAD that would pulled the mind of the Lord to my understanding...
At one point, I thought, the single thread was FOLLOW the COUNSEL OF THE LIVING PROPHET! FAITH-TRUST in the LORD could have been one...AGENCY, certainly, was mentioned a few times...GRATITUDE...
But, it wasn't until this morning that a thought STRUCK me quite forcefully...and I thought I would share that thought with you...
Each morning before Hyrum goes to Seminary, we have a SONG (I know, it is hard to imagine that we would be bringing in the spirit with 6:00 a.m. singing voices) (well, our voices at any hour, for that matter) (smile)...prayer and the reading of the Book of Mormon. It was Garvin's turn to pick out the hymn and he chose "How Firm a Foundation", but he only wanted us to sing the LAST TWO VERSES...It was the 7th verse that I had this strong impression...on the SINGLE THREAD of General Conference...Here are the words of the LAST VERSE:
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never,
I'll NEVER, no NEVER, no NEVER FORSAKE!
It was those words that RANG out to me...In Elder Neil L. Andersen's talk...he brought up the Savior asking this important question...that each of us must answer:
"...many of his disciples went back, and walked NO MORE WITH HIM.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, WILL YE ALSO GO AWAY?
Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of ETERNAL LIFE. (John 6:66-68)
We were given sound counsel on what is needful at this time in our lives...to handle the season that has been foretold by all other dispensations of time...But, in the midst of all our trials and those, yet to come...there will be that haunting question..."Will ye also go away?" Will we be able to "endure" to the end...?
ANSWER is YES, we can...by being obedient to all the counsel that was given to us by our PROPHETS, SEERS, and REVELATORS in this General Conference.
We can with CONFIDENCE...live in harmony with the Holy Ghost...if we are reading our scriptures every day...talking to our Father on a daily basis...keeping a current temple recommend...having GRATITUDE in our hearts on a DAILY basis...TRUST GOD...FOLLOW the LIVING PROPHET...BEING MINDFUL on the USE of our TIME...SERVE and LOVE one another.
I'll NEVER, no NEVER, NO NEVER FORSAKE!
Saturday, October 2, 2010
- 4 new temples announced
- President Monson made "serious" statements on "Missionary Work".
- Jeffrey Holland gave an INCREDIBLE talk on "Individual WORTH"!
- Rosemary Wixom - talk on how to get our children back home safely to our Heavenly Father.
- Claudio Costa - FOLLOW THE PROPHET!
- David McConkie - Those who have been called to TEACH...4 principles one must follow.
- D. Todd Christofferson - A Consecrated Life
- Deiter F. Uchtdorf - Slow down....take note....of where you are in life...
- Robert D. Hales - Agency
- Quentin L. Cook - "When the lights Go On Again...All Over the World"
- Richard C. Edgley - FAITH
- Kevin Duncan - FOLLOW the COUNSEL of the PROPHET
- Gerrit Gong - didn't take notes - but it was a good talk
- Neil L. Andersen - Road to Discipleship
- Richard G. Scott - FAITH - Moral Character
WOULD LOVE YOUR COMMENTS on what caught YOUR ATTENTION, today...or on SUNDAY!
Hope you will all WATCH tomorrow!