President Gordon B. Hinckley's Challenge and Promise

President Gordon B. Hinckley said in a

worldwide leadership training meeting:

“I am convinced there is no other organization anywhere to match the Relief Society of this Church.

If they will be UNITED and speak with ONE VOICE,

Their STRENGTH will be INCALCULABLE!”

10 January 2004, 20

Relief Society - A Restoration of an Ancient Form

RELIEF SOCIETY

“A Restoration of an Ancient Pattern”


Although the name may be modern date,

the institution is of ANCIENT ORIGIN.

We were told by our martyred prophet

that the same organization EXISTED

in the church ANCIENTLY.”

Eliza R. Snow

(Published in: “Daughters in My Kingdom”)

Monday, March 21, 2011

Ward Conference - Part 1 - FIRST HOUR


To my best ability, I will try and report our Ward Conference that we held jointly with Kalispell 1st Ward.

FIRST HOUR: (today...2nd (tomorrow) and 3rd hour in the next couple of days)
  • We sustained our Prophet and Apostles and other leaders, including Kalispell 1st and 3rd Wards - leadership.
  • President Lee Wight: Bore his sincere testimony including this comment on PRAYER - Prayer is our AVENUE to be able to seek our Father - on bended knee...
  • The song "Learn of Me" was sung by both wards Young Women, including their YW leaders. These words by Janice Kapp Perry are SO BEAUTIFUL that I want to type up the words for you...for in this song...lies a POWERFUL MESSAGE:
"Learn of Me"

I walk today along the path of life.
No more a child protected from the strife.
Now I must face whatever foes may come
And fight with strength until the battle's won.

I trembling fear the task is far too great,
On every side the Tempter lies in wait.
What can I do? I plead to Him above,
Then hear Him speak these gentle words of love:

Learn of me and listen to my words,
Walk in the meekness of my light
And I will give you peace,
My love will never cease,
For I AM JESUS CHRIST.

When I was yet a child so clean and pure,
I doubted not and knew God's love was sure.
I knew He lived for every bird and tree,
By breath and leaf, were witnesses to me.

But now the world would fill my mind with doubt,
And so my soul, in search of truth cries out.
How may I know? I plead to Him above
Then I recall these gentle words of love:

Learn of me and listen to my words,
Walk in the meekness of my light
And I will give you peace,
My love will never cease,
For I AM JESUS CHRIST.

My life is blessed to have His sacred word,
To feel His love and know my prayers are heard.
With in my soul his light has found a place,
It leads the way as I receive His grace.

The peace I feel, my joy in sacred things,
Surpasses all the world could ever bring.
With humble heart I take a valiant stand.
I will obey this gentle sweet command:

Learn of me and listen to my words,
Walk in the meekness of my light
And I will give you peace,
My love will never cease,
For I AM JESUS CHRIST.

  • President Kurt Thorderson gave this address:
  • "Casualness" or "Being Casual in Spirit"
  • What can we learn from the event in Japan?
  • There is a tidal wave that is engulfing the earth - engulfing "spirituality"
  • The only safe place is the HIGH GROUND of the TEMPLE.
  • There is a "casualness" about LIFE - which involves CHOICES
  • Our "casualness" about life is a - reflection of our "reverence" for spiritual light - inner commitment - towards our covenants - can be reflected in our appearance/dress/etc.
  • Heavenly Father was NOT CASUAL - Example: In the 10 Commandments - he said "THOU SHALT NOT..." - no casual statement...
  • Quoted a few statement out of D&C Chapter 1: Example: "Hearken, O ye people of my church..." (no "casual" declaration...)
  • NOTE from me: In verse 4...I thought this was NO CASUAL comment... "And the VOICE OF WARNING shall be unto ALL people, by the mouths of my disciples, whom I have CHOSEN in these LAST DAYS."
  • He quoted from JACOB 2...Jacob was NOT CASUAL in his teachings of the people..."...it grieveth me that I must use so much BOLDNESS of SPEECH concerning you..."
  • Quoted D&C 82:10 - "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do NOT what I say, ye have NO PROMISE".
  • Quoted statements from Elder L. Tom Perry on "casual dress"... (I remember that Elder Perry addressed "dress standards" more than ONCE in his talks...one was how to dress on the SABBATH day...)
  • Here is the quote that Elder Perry gave in October 1984 General Conference "And Why Call Ye Me, Lord, and Do Not the Things Which I Say?" - "... I believe He not only expected us to stay away from worldly places on the Sabbath, but also to DRESS appropriately on HIS DAY. I often wonder what happened to the good old saying, "Sunday best." If our dress deteriorates to everyday attire, our ACTIONS seem to FOLLOW the TYPE OF CLOTHING we WEAR." "Of course, we would not expect our children to REMAIN DRESSED in their CHURCH clothes all day, but neither would we expect to dress in clothes that would NOT BE APPROPRIATE for the SABBATH."
  • Casual will NOT BE ENOUGH in our FAMILY prayers; FAMILY scripture studies; Family Home Evenings...
  • Quoted from President Ezra Taft Benson's talk "Beware of Pride" - (April 1989 General Conference): "Pride pits OUR WILL AGAINST God's"...
  • The Stripling Warriors performed with EXACTNESS... (Can read about them in Alma Chapters 53, 56, and 57)
We ended the FIRST HOUR with the Hymn #220: "Lord, I Would Follow Thee"... I love singing it by changing the word "would" to "will"...sounds more COMMITTED (smile)... It is one of my FAVORITE HYMNS... The words are worth reading:

Savior, may I learn to love thee, Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another, Finding strength beyond my own.
Savior, may I learn to love thee --- Lord, I WILL follow thee.

Who am I to judge another, When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden, Sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another? Lord, I WILL follow thee.

I would be my brother's keeper; I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary, I would show a gentle heart
I would be my brother's keeper --- Lord, I WILL follow thee.

Savior, may I love my brother, As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon, For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother --- Lord, I WILL follow thee.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I was unable to attend the Conference, so I really appreciate being able to read about it here. I look forward to the rest when it comes :)

    ReplyDelete