President Gordon B. Hinckley's Challenge and Promise

President Gordon B. Hinckley said in a

worldwide leadership training meeting:

“I am convinced there is no other organization anywhere to match the Relief Society of this Church.

If they will be UNITED and speak with ONE VOICE,

Their STRENGTH will be INCALCULABLE!”

10 January 2004, 20

Relief Society - A Restoration of an Ancient Form

RELIEF SOCIETY

“A Restoration of an Ancient Pattern”


Although the name may be modern date,

the institution is of ANCIENT ORIGIN.

We were told by our martyred prophet

that the same organization EXISTED

in the church ANCIENTLY.”

Eliza R. Snow

(Published in: “Daughters in My Kingdom”)

Friday, December 31, 2010

New Beginnings...


We are closing out another year...but, I have always looked forward to NEW BEGINNINGS...New Year's Day has always been a day I so LOOK forward to...It is when I restate old goals and begin afresh with new ones...

As I have pondered over our "life's purpose" and how to "overcome the world" to one day become a part of that "Eternal City" after we "return and report" our experiences of mortality...I have wondered how I was ever truly going to accomplish this mission, while I am still here on earth...

Christ said: "Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect." (3 Nephi 12:48)

To KNOW that LIFE has "purpose" then, we have to decide that "overcoming the world" is a serious goal in life.

But "HOW" has always been the question and challenge placed before us. I am so GRATEFUL for LIVING prophets and apostles. We have "covenanted" to give "strict HEED" to their words. I have gathered ideas on "how to overcome this world" through their counsel, plus the wisdom contained in our scriptures... (this is far from complete...but, hopefully it will get you to thinking about your own life and where you are...at this time...).

I must add that we have been given the GIFT of the HOLY GHOST...an opportunity for His CONSTANT companionship...I do believe, we will have it...IF we truly strive...to live Father's commandments - LOVE and SERVE HIM - which includes LOVING and SERVING our Brothers and Sisters in this life:

Over the next few days...I would like to post quotes in some orderly fashion...These are simply thoughts as we enter a NEW YEAR...and ponder over the personal gift you have hopefully given to our Savior, Jesus Christ, over the Christmas season...Plus, in the process of renewing our covenants each Sabbath day...we are clean as we partake of the bread and water...REMEMBERING always...why we are here...

OUR MISSION WAS TO SAVE

"I always tried to make my hearers feel that I and my associates were PEACEMAKERS,
and lovers of peace and good will, that OUR MISSION was to SAVE,
and not destroy,
to BUILD UP
and not tear down."

("Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith (1998), xvii)

"At the heart of the message of the Savior of the world is a single,
glorious, wonderful, still largely untried concept. In its simplest terms
the message is that we should seek to overcome the SELFISHNESS we all seem to be born with,
that we should OVERCOME human nature and think of others before self.
We should think of God and serve Him, and think of others and
SERVE them."

(James E. Faust, Ensign, December 1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment