President Gordon B. Hinckley's Challenge and Promise

President Gordon B. Hinckley said in a

worldwide leadership training meeting:

“I am convinced there is no other organization anywhere to match the Relief Society of this Church.

If they will be UNITED and speak with ONE VOICE,

Their STRENGTH will be INCALCULABLE!”

10 January 2004, 20

Relief Society - A Restoration of an Ancient Form

RELIEF SOCIETY

“A Restoration of an Ancient Pattern”


Although the name may be modern date,

the institution is of ANCIENT ORIGIN.

We were told by our martyred prophet

that the same organization EXISTED

in the church ANCIENTLY.”

Eliza R. Snow

(Published in: “Daughters in My Kingdom”)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

SHAPING the NEW YOU...

I am going to retype an article I read this morning...I wanted to SUPPORT Heidi Stott's "Weight Loss" Group (The LINK to her Blog is posted in this R.S. Blog)...by posting this article. Though, this article refers to "weight loss"...there is a principle here...that we could emulate in other areas of our lives...

"SMALL deeds done are better than GREAT deeds planned."
By: Peter Marshall

Eight, 10, 12, 14...year after year, I watched my jean size creep up, along with the number on the bathroom scale. Feeling weak and ashamed, I responded by exercising like gangbusters and severely limiting my caloric intake. I would promptly lose five to 10 pounds, and then slowly fall back into my old habits---overeating and infrequent exercising. Falling back into bad habits meant falling back into larger jeans, too.

In late 2006, I began to think about my previous attempts at weight loss. I realized my goals were always too demanding and I was inadvertently setting myself up to FAIL. In previous years, I had told myself that I would lose 10 pounds by the end of January, five more pounds by the end of February, five more by the end of March and so on. I set a much different kind of goal for January 2007.

I vowed to walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes at least five days a week. It was a small, manageable goal. I began walking just two miles per hour for 15 minutes, giving myself the weekends off. I worked my way up to three miles per hour for 15 minutes and then three miles per hour for 20 minutes. Month after month, little by little, I increased my rate of speed and the length of my walk. I now walk four miles per hour for 30 minutes per day.

I added another manageable goal for January 2008. I had been drinking at least one soda every day. I wanted to drink less soda and more water. Again, I cut back little by little, month after month, and over the course of the year, I reduced my consumption to just one soda a week.

In January 2009 I set myself another new fitness goal. Previously, I was eating fast food two to three times each week. I knew that if I could manage to scale that back, I would be doing my body and my pocketbook a huge favor. Again, just like with my previous goals, I cut back little by little. After two months, I was already down to eating out just once a week.

After just TWO YEARS on my journey to a new and healthier lifestyle, I was down 20 pounds and comfortably back into my size 8 jeans. by keeping my goals small, I was able to follow through and sustain each one for the long haul. I continue to seethe results on the scale, and I feel so much better with each passing YEAR and each new resolution!

("Resolution Not Revolution" - From Chicken Soup for the Soul: Shaping the New You - By: Kimberly M. Hutmacher)

Additional note from ME (Deb)...A couple of years, ago, my DAUGHTER-IN-LAW came up with this thought in the area of WEIGHT LOSS...She set a reasonable goal of losing ONE POUND a WEEK...and she figured if she did that...by the end of the YEAR...she could potentially lose up to 52 pounds...I thought that could be very possible. I have a friend who shed "50" pounds last year (2010)...by simply changing her diet...incorporated more FRESH FRUITS and VEGETABLES to her eating each day...and added some exercise to her week...

Loved Peter Marshall's quote...I do believe...we accomplish so much more...ONE DAY...or ONE STEP at a time...SOMETIMES...ONE MINUTE at a time...YOU GO GIRLS!






No comments:

Post a Comment